Old Guys in Snowboarding Competitions

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

Old Guys in Snowboarding Competitions

Postby John » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:49 am

I'm not much of a competitor on the slopes, but some adult riders do engage in some competitions.

Writing in the Summit Daily News (April 3), Adam Boffey says "USASA Nationals not just for kids."

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2008 ... /699206452

Here's an excerpt:
"USASA is really fun," said Matty Harrington, a 34-year-old rider from Telluride competing this week at Copper. "I've learned so much over the years because I was pushing myself for the competition. I've done stuff that I never would have tried or gotten up the courage to do, but since I'm competing, it was like, 'I gotta do it.'"

[snip]

"There's still a bunch of guys in there 30s who are killing it," Clark said. "Seth Wescott won an Olympic gold (in 2006) and he's (now) over 30. There's tons of guys in the pipe too, who are a little bit older than what you would think is the norm, but they're still going out there and throwing down."

[snip]
"My kids have been doing it for eight years," said 43-year-old Ty Heckman of Southern California. "They kept bugging me saying, 'C'mon dad, you can do it.' ... So this year I decided to do GS and slalom just for the fun of it. It was a blast."

I've done all of two NASTAR races (and no USASA events). The first time was simply in survival mode--"Don't hit any gates." I succeeded. The second time I improved a bit. I ride duck, which isn't the greatest stance for racing, but I've done the events more for the variety than anything.
John

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Adult rider extraorinaire Shaun Palmer has made a spectacular comeback this season at age 39 with wins on the Jeep King of the Mountain Boardercross tour.
SteveH

Postby daysailer1 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm in my mid-40's. I went down a NASTAR course for the first time last season. First run wasn't pretty. I got better and went to Nationals. I did quite well.

I went to nationals again this year and did even better. 1st in my division and did well in the Race of Champions.

I think I will try the USASA next season. It's alot more snowboard friendly. Some USASA guys racing at the NASTAR Nationals were trying to get me to go over to Copper Mtn and compete. I missed the qualification deadline.

I ride duck too. I actually think it helps me.
Last edited by daysailer1 on Thu May 15, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daysailer1

Postby John » Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 am

Does USASA have races? I always thought of them as the place for freestyle events.
John

Postby daysailer1 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:44 pm

John wrote:Does USASA have races? I always thought of them as the place for freestyle events.

Their website: http://www.usasa.org/index.php?option=c ... e&Itemid=1

They have both alpine and freestyle events. They use snowboard gates too.

Alpine events = Slalom and Giant Slalom

Freestyle events = Boardercross, Half-pipe, Slopestyle

The Nationals for 2009 will be at Copper Mtn again.
daysailer1

Postby John » Thu May 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I've raced (twice) on a GS NASTAR course. It used ski gates. (These two times were at a convention for writers--96 out of 100 whom were skiers.)
John

Postby daysailer1 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Those ski gates are murder on the toeside. Cut it too close and you might be missing some teeth. I get bruises on my heelside body parts from whacking gates.

I coached some people at Nationals after the first day. You should do your turn above the gate. When you get to the gate you should already be looking at the next gate.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby John » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 am

My goal is, yes, to keep my teeth, and generally to avoid a crash. The times that I've raced have been almost entirely social occasions, to participate in the larger group.

On the last trip I was 2 seconds off a bronze. That's OK until you realize that in, say, downhill ski racing, 2 seconds is the difference between the 3rd place finisher and "you ought to consider another line of work."
John

Postby daysailer1 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am

2 seconds is the difference between the 3rd place finisher and "you ought to consider another line of work."

Funny you should mention 2 seconds. It's killing me - I'm 2 seconds off a Platinum medal. I just couldn't shave those 2 seconds this season.

It was fun conversing with and watching Phil Mahre and Deb Armstrong ski the gates at Nationals. Wow, they fly...and make it look so easy.
daysailer1

Snowboard Racing

Postby patmoore » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Reviving an old thread....

You're never too old for snowboard racing. I'm 62 and plan on competing on the board for years to come. If you're interested in trying it, visit a resort with a NASTAR program. Although you'll be dealing with the traditional skier gates, you can give them a wide enough berth to avoid making contact. If you do reasonably well, you'll earn an invitation to compete with Daysailer and me at the Nationals which will be held at Steamboat next March. We'd love to see an increase in the numbers of participating snowboarders.

If you live in the east, please visit Okemo. On weekends, I set one NASTAR course with snowboard specific gates. Whiteface does the same thing.
patmoore

Postby daysailer1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Oh, I just went and caused myself more trouble.

I just joined the Copper Mountain district of USASA. I'm shooting to qualify for Nationals this season in alpine events.

I talked to the Head of Winter Park's HR on Saturday. Sounds like they could maybe throw some bones my way if a get an enticing package together of previous results and pictures. Shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing I'm worried about is looking stupid in that racesuit. :oops:
daysailer1

Return to Snowboarding Competitions