What do you Think of the Olympic Coverage?

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

What do you Think of the Olympic Coverage?

Postby John » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Not that it matters much--but hey, here's a discussion topic: have the Olympic snowboarding events had any effect on what you think about riding, or what your non-riding friends think of your participation in the sport?

I've got mixed feeling about how the Olympics have affected public opinion about snowboarding. On the one hand, the cool factor has gone up. And the fact that riding takes some skill and determination should be obvious.

But the showboating of Lindsey Jacobellis in boardercross reinforces the "oh those silly kids" mentality. Not that we need to be the stereotype of steeley-eyed East German competitors, either, of course.

A relative who used to ski (active hunter and fisherman) asked in jest if I did any big jumps and spins in the halfpipe.

Yeah, right.
Last edited by John on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Postby dcalc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Overall, I liked the olympic coverage of snowboarding. But in general, I'm glad I live in area where I can get the CBC(Canada's)'s coverage. Way better than's NBC's.
dcalc

Return to Snowboarding Competitions