NASTAR National Championships

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

NASTAR National Championships

Postby John » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:47 pm

If I recall correctly, several of you should be at Winter Park this weekend for the NASTAR national championships. Here's your thread to talk about it, or to point to another site if you have written about it there. I would like to go sometime, but usually have a conflict with another ski/snowboarding event.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Re: NASTAR National Championships

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:37 pm

The Championship race is always a fun and exciting event. There are some excellent and very dedicated racers, but everyone is friendly and helpful to novices like me. The informal Grays on Trays team again swept our division. The top spot had some added excitement this year as Jim Twark was in first after Day 1 and Pat Moore needed a very strong run on the second day to pull ahead for the Gold. I slotted in the Bronze again. Jim pointed out that I actually had the best time in the second run on Saturday--when both Pat and Jim fell. Undoubtedly the only run in which I'll finish ahead of them so I will savor a small victory!
:lol:

It was a special treat for me to have my daughter Kat attend and get the gold in the 13-14 year old division. She showed a lot of determination when she had to race first on a very difficult course for snowboarders in the Race of Champions on Sunday and finished just out of the medals.

Jim, who calls Winter Park his home mountain, was very generous in showing Kat and me some of his favorite runs. Winter Park has absolutely spectacular terrain made even more enticing by the 7 inches of powder that fell Friday night. Riding powder through the trees on Mary Jane with Jim and Kat is a day I will long remember.

If you have ever had any interest in trying your hand at running gates, go through a NASTAR course next season before Mid February and you will likely qualify for the Championships because of the relatively small number of snowboard racers. Then seriously consider coming to Winter Park for a great party with lots of like minded snow enthusiasts.
SteveH

Postby John » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks for the report. My schedule might actually let me attend the event next year. Whether other factors will let me will have to be determined as the time gets nearer.
John

Postby patmoore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Winter Park did a terrific job hosting the competition and the employees bent over backward to make us feel at home.

This was the second consecutive year that Jim, Steve, and I were the entire contingent in our age group. They are genuinely nice guys and I wish we had the opportunity to ride together more than once a year. Congrats to Kat on her performance.

I maintained an online diary and photo album if you want to get a little flavor of the event.
patmoore

Postby John » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks for the link to the diary. It was an interesting read.
John

Postby patmoore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Winter Park added a nice feature this year - a video of everyone's last run. In my case it was a wipeout but at least now I know why I fell!

http://savethejake.com/NASTAR/NastarRacersPlayer.html
patmoore

Return to Snowboarding Competitions