Gate training

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

Gate training

Postby patmoore » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm

We had our second annual gate training day at Okemo on February 12th and were fortunate to have a USASA coach on hand.

Here's a video of some of the runs.

I managed to twist my knee pretty badly a couple weeks ago (torn meniscus, partial ACL tear, and small fracture of the bone and cartilage) but still hope to make the NASTAR Nationals in Winter Park in late March. Who else is coming?
patmoore

Re: Gate training

Postby John » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Pat, I qualified for nationals (ridiculously easy to do), but I've got another trip that week.

John
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby SteveH » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm

patmoore wrote:We had our second annual gate training day at Okemo on February 12th and were fortunate to have a USASA coach on hand.

I managed to twist my knee pretty badly a couple weeks ago (torn meniscus, partial ACL tear, and small fracture of the bone and cartilage) but still hope to make the NASTAR Nationals in Winter Park in late March. Who else is coming?

A USASA coach, Pat? That's just not fair. :wink:

While we appreciate the fact that you are giving the rest of us a chance by competing on an injured knee, cut it out already. After breaking your foot at the NASTAR championships last year you need to remember that you go around the gates, not through them.

My daughter Kat, age 13, thought the championships sounded like so much fun she ran the gates with me to see if she could qualify. The registration got screwed up and she was placed in the boys category--and still qualifed. Third best time in the 13-14 year old boys division at Breck.

We both plan to go the Nationals and look forward to seeing you there. I'm sure Jim Twark will show up as well.
SteveH

Postby patmoore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Steve,

Glad to see you're coming as well as your daughter. Be sure to have Bill Madsen place her in the right category. If you have difficulty let me know and I'll contact him.

Jim is registered. They never show my name as a snowboard registrant but they do as a skier.

Snowboard gates are far preferable to ski gates! In 2007 I straddled gates and broke two ribs. That led to a week in the hospital with pneumonia and the only time I've missed the Nationals since 2004.

I've never been to WP. Looking forward to it! Switching boots and getting from the snowboard course to Lower Hughes looks like it's going to be a real challenge.
patmoore

Postby patmoore » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Registration is closed and we have an even 50 snowboard racers at WP. Interestingly it's mostly young and old with very little in between.

There are no women between 29 and 45 and no men between 34 and 40.

The most heavily contested divisions are Women 45-49 and Men 40-44 with five each.
patmoore

Postby John » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

Sounds like it would be easy to get a podium spot within an age division. Do they recognize the top 3 in each division/sex?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby patmoore » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Some of the age groups have more than three participants so there's no guarantee you'll make the podium. For the past three years in my age group it's just been myself and two genuinely nice guys from Colorado - Steve Harhai and Jim Twark.

Hope you can join us next year!
patmoore

Return to Snowboarding Competitions