What's new for you during the 2008-09 season?

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

What's new for you during the 2008-09 season?

Postby John » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 am

We're heading into spring riding, so maybe it's time to talk about impressions of this season.

What has been significant for you about it? New gear? A breakthrough in some technique that's been troubling you? New mountains?

Normally by this point in the season I will have spent a week or more in Aspen. But this isn't most seasons, and I've stayed at home.

The most significant thing about this season, aside from that, has been spending some time running GS gates on a NASTAR course. Ski racing is big in the Midwest, and snowboard racing is at best an afterthought. (There is the USASA, but I didn't think of it until just yesterday.) I normally participate in a NASTAR race for fun, as part of an annual convention that happens each March. This season I thought to get in some practice before the convention.

The results have been OK so far. I'm not going to give up freeriding, that I can see, but it does add something that I can do.

I have also spent some time working on finding things to do on green runs.

No new gear for me this season. In fact, the last two times out I've gone back to using my old boots. They have old-school laces, and I stopped using them because they got insufferably and incurably stinky a couple years ago, but so far, so good. (I've had some problems with the newer boots.)

My terrain park riding, always limited, has been more even more limited this season. None of the features that I have seen are really set up for me--they're too high off the ground, require an ollie to get onto, etc.

How about you?
John

Postby canoer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 pm

I've moved my bindings in a good inch or so. That has helped with my turns and carving. I don't spend any time in the park so I don't need the extra stability that a wider stance supposedly gives you. I used the tape measure from your heel to the back of your knee tip to estimate the new stance width, instead of measuring my shoulders.

But the most fun thing about this season has been watching my neighbor progress from a rank beginner last year to a decent intermediate rider. I can still out-ride him, but just barely. :D
canoer

Postby SteveH » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:10 pm

This thread inspired me to think about the season (so far), and it's been a good one!

I've spent a lot of time with the Breckenridge Ski and Ride School and the outstanding instructors there have really pushed my limits.

I rode a number of features in the small terrain park (Eldorado) include three medium size kickers and a box. It was moderately scary but fun.

I rode terrain off the Imperial Express Chair (highest chairlift in North America - 12,840 feet) for the first time. The terrain is so steep the chair has to turn at the top before you can unload and the relatively flat area to strap up is maybe 20'x30'. On a good day it's a gateway to fantastic bowls, trees and chutes.

I tried a hard boot setup--it's a lot harder than it looks. I'm reserving further alpine riding for next season--maybe.

I had a few mogul runs that were actually fun.

Went through the Nastar course for the first time and qualified for the national championship.

Thanks for encouraging us to take a look back, John. It's nice to take stock.
SteveH

Postby wrathfuldeity » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:30 pm

Just yesterday was my first time to do a couple of runs of getting close to euro carves, conditions were just right with drier packed pow with 4 inches of fast fresh on top; was able to get up on edge enough to lean over and touch the snow on both heel and toe sides.

On ice groomer days got the switch riding to a comfortable level at medium speed.

Got small terrain jumps down and last Thursday launched and landed a 15-20 foot terrain hit….good steep pow landing area.

Comfortable tight billy goat rhythm going down 60+ degree steeps.

Moguls without any anxiety but technique still needs lots of improvement.

Gotten comfortable at bombing cruisers at 50+ mph.
Baker!
wrathfuldeity

Postby justdust » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Let's see, in beginner parks, did a box, an up- box, a double-box and a rail; got comfortable on a 12 foot table jump; still staying below the lip in the pipe, meandered through some trees, actually had some fun on moguls for a change, and got pretty comfortable with the steepest runs I came accross. Made friends with speed. Made it down from the top with no toe strap and no mishaps. Pretty happy with my progression this year. :D Got a new board and bindings on the way...just hope the season lasts long enough for me to try them! :wink:
justdust

Postby bernwern » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 am

Well, it's been an overall OK season for me.

Highlights:
-Annual trip to Montana
-Going to Mt. Bohemia (this coming weekend)
-Getting my Tanker 200

Disapointments:
-Snow conditions in Montana
-TWO broken Tanker 200's (only got 15 days on the slopes with them)
-Impending divorce with my wife sucking my life and enthusiasm from me, ruining what was left of the season

Oh well, there is always next year to look forward to. Rad-Air is sending me a 3rd and final board soon, so it will be brand new for next season :) I will so have more free time to ride, take trips, and if I am ready for it, meet some snow-bunnies. Hey, I may be down, but I'm not out completely and never will be!

-B
bernwern

Postby justdust » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:22 pm

That's the spirit, B! As boarders one thing we all know how to do in life is take a hard fall and get back up again. Just keep on riding! 8)
justdust

Postby runswithdog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Let's see.

1. Gains in pace and speed, especially with skiier friends.
Many days I ride ahead of them. Big improvement there, from last winter.

2. Rode more moguls. Technique still terrible argh! , but at least I can traverse and make a few turns.

3. Got noticeably better on powder. Love it, love it, love it.

4. Rode many blacks. Getting over that black diamond fear was huge.
Don't know about those doubleblacks, though!!

5. Can now do some slow 360 spins while riding. Can also ride a little switch. Still better goin' toeside.
runswithdog

Return to General Discussion