Why did you start riding?

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Postby snwbrdmamma » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:44 pm

8) started boarding after sitting around watching my sons usasa comps 2 years ago at age 43. All four kids (ages 16-22) snowboard, and now all 6 of us can play together. I had bad knees and had sold my skis, so I hiked to the parks and watched. Finally got up the nerve to try it, as did my husband; first few times were bruises waiting to happen, a slight concussion from a toeside slam (trying to go over a beginner jump that I way wasn't ready for). Was riding goofy but couldn't connect the turns, and toe side scared me, so I learned to ride switch. Last year I spent some time with a great instructor and came away turning, doing 360s on the flats, and having a great time. I switched my stance to regular so that my worst knee could wait till summer for surgery, and am back to riding goofy this year. I dropped in to the 1/2 pipe at the end of the season last year, and although I haven't done rails or jumps, I'm hooked on 1/2 pipe and can't wait for more snow so they'll be open and I can play. Hope to make it to Copper in the spring.
let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!
snwbrdmamma

Postby snowrider » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:46 am

Good for you! I'm 54 (female) and love to ride myself. My son also did the USASA thing for a few years. It's a great organization.

The pipe is great. I'm sure you already know to make sure you have no forward lean on your highback making the pipe easier.

Where do you ride? What do you ride? I always think of Virginia as warm, etc.
judy
snowrider

Postby snowrider » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:55 am

We actually have a second home in Bear Lake (but not on the lake, on Rt. 31), but it's currently on the market and I've had only one couple go through it who made an offer but couldn't get financing. It's really priced to sell and the same house here in NE would go for twice as much. I wish I could find all of these Chicago buyers. On the Lake (Bear or Mich) I'm sure there's a larger more willing to pay higher prices people.

Ever hear of or been to the Rockin' R Ranch? Dee Randall (owner) is a friend of ours and up until recently we had horses at his place. He does trail rides, rodeos, carriage rides etc., etc. A great family place if you're ever interested.

Jay Peak is very popular in VT, NH, etc. While I've never been there personally, I've heard great things about it. More difficult terrain etc. if you want it. It's always cold there however so wear your down.

If I had a chance at Jay or out West......west, of course. Many resorts out there just got 5-6 ft of snow in 24 hours. Try SLC or The Sierra Nevada range. Our 19 year old son lives in SLC and rides at Park City, Brighton, etc. There's a ton of choices in that area with pow riding.
snowrider

Postby snowrider » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:57 am

Opps. Posted my Mich. info to the wrong forum.
snowrider

Postby snowrider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:06 am

Oops. I posted this to the wrong forum Sun.

We actually have a second home in Bear Lake (but not on the lake, on Rt. 31), but it's currently on the market and I've had only one couple go through it who made an offer but couldn't get financing. It's really priced to sell and the same house here in NE would go for twice as much. I wish I could find all of these Chicago buyers. On the Lake (Bear or Mich) I'm sure there's a "larger, more willing to pay higher prices" people. Not on Rt 31, Pleasanton Hwy.

Ever hear of or been to the Rockin' R Ranch? Dee Randall (owner) is a friend of ours and up until recently we had horses at his place. He does trail rides, rodeos, carriage rides etc., etc. A great family place if you're ever interested.

Of course we've been to the Bear Lake Tavern, John. It's a "requirement" if you visit or live in the area.

Jay Peak is very popular in VT, NH, etc. While I've never been there personally, I've heard great things about it. More difficult terrain etc. if you want it. It's always cold there however so wear your down. It's a little far for us to try with other mtns 20 min. to an hour away. We've just never made the trip. But I have a friend I play tennis with and her whole family has season passes there this year and she asked me to tag along some Sat. so I'll probably get there this year hopefully since I don't have to drive, ha, ha.

If I had a chance at Jay or out West......west, of course. Many resorts out there just got 5-6 ft of snow in 24 hours. Try SLC or The Sierra Nevada range. Our 19 year old son lives in SLC and rides at Park City, Brighton, etc. There's a ton of choices in that area with pow riding. We may be from the "right coast" but they're from the "best" coast as far as snowfall.
snowrider

Postby snwbrdmamma » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks Judy
Virginia is warm, especially this week - it's been in the 60s and the snow at the resorts, Wintergreen and Massanutten, is melting fast; it's been too warm to blow even at night. I didn't know about the forward lean, and I do have a slight forward, which I'll change next time I go out. We ride at Massanutten during the week, but get over to Snowshoe, WV every chance we get. I'm from Maine, and my youngest son is up at Okemo VT with friends this week. They will ride Okemo for 2 days and Stratton for one before they come home. I've been watching the weather and am quite jealous of the west and mid-west snowfall. We're hoping to get things in order within the next 3 years to sell our house here as well as in Maine, and move west. This slow start to the season makes me wish it were time to move now, but things will happen when they happen... we still have kids in college and one in high school, so the move will have to wait for now. Check out Snowshoemtn.com, massresort.com, and wintergreenresort.com to see where we ride. Our daughter and youngest son work at Massanutten, and another son works at Wintergreen (the 3rd son is in the army stationed at Ft. Campbell KY, but was home and able to ride during Christmas).
Where is Bear Lake? Where do you ride?
Mary
snwbrdmamma

Why Snowboarding? (WARNING: Long Story...)

Postby MartinJ » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:18 pm

(The exact years are a little fuzzy in my memory, but I have this all right to within about +/- 1 year.)

I was night skiing in a substantial snowstorm (Timberline Ski Area, Mt Hood, Oregon) in 1982 when I saw these two snowboarders blast up a slope alongside the powder-covered run. It reminded me of surfing, and it looked like a lot of fun. Later was able to chat with these guys and have a look at the 'boards in the lodge. I've never forgotten that day and the image of those two "surfers" on the snow.

One was riding an Avalanche 160cm, and the other had a Burton Backhill or perhaps a Powdergun. The bindings were very rudimentary. The Burton bindings were the old rubber waterski style, and the Avalanche had a primitive "plate" so that the rider used hard plastic ski boots.

A few weeks later I looked at a snowboard at my local skateboard shop (Cal Skate in Portland, Oregon: http://www.calsk8.com), but they only had one Burton "Backyard" or "Backhill" in stock, which looked like formed piece of plywood for about $100, so I skipped it. In the fall of 1983 I returned to the shop and threw all caution to the wind; I bought a brand-new Burton Performer for $159.95, as I recall.

Of course, I fell in love with the sport right away, even though I had no idea what I was doing. Around 1984 or '85 I bought a Burton VHS video which showed snowboarders riding standing up and not using the nose rope! I immediately called my buddy who had been going along with this adventure (as a somewhat interested skater), and told him what I had seen. He didn't believe it, so I had to show him the video. We studied the riding clips over and over, and, with the help of a new snowboard with a P-tex base and steel edges, my skills improved markedly.

The next two decades brought amazing equipment advances; I think that I've owned 20+ snowboards and at least 10 different bindings. The notables include: Burton Performer, Burton Performer Elite, Avalanche Reflex, Snowtech, Sims 1710 Blade, Burton Mystery Air, Burton Safari 175 & 185, Sims Terry Kidwell, Burton PJ.... to my current too-many-snowboards-group which inlcludes a Glissade Big Gun 165 for all-around riding and an Original Sin 4807 for fresh powder.

The last 20 years have brought loads of adventures...including 3 seasons as a snowboarding instructor...and the season that I snowboarded 103 days....and being the first snowboarder to ever ride the lifts at Whistler/Blackcomb.... but those will have to fit in some other posts.

Best wishes for a great season,
Martin
*Snowboarder Since 1983
*Head Snowboarding Instructor, Timberline Ski Area, 1986-1988
*B.S., Engineering; M.S., Education
MartinJ

Postby snowrider » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:24 am

Hi Mary,
I just got back to the site. After reading again about my forward-lean comment; i.e., "no forward lean for the pipe" now I'm having a "senior moment" about it. Is it "no" or "more" forward lean for the pipe? I'm gonna double check on my advice. I still think it's "no" (and theoretically it makes more sense...at least to me, but that's not saying much!) but let me ask the gal pro I know who originally gave me the advice when I wanted to hit the pipe and get back to you for sure, okay?

Yeah, out west, baby! Actually my husband and I are probably moving there as we're currently doing the bi-coastal thing. (Our 3 are out of the house!) We have 2 girls (1 married, 3 children) & one who just got engaged (and both granduated from college) thank goodness! and our 19 year old guy's living out in Utah (lucky duck or should I say "snowman!")

He's been complaining about too much snow to hit the Park City park as the jumps/rails keep getting clobbered. "Ahhh, I'm so sorry, son",... actually it's more like: "shut up" and send some our way! And, guess what? He did!

We finally got about 4-5 inches last night. How about you? Any colder and snowier? While I should be working today, I'm off to the hills as hubby left for Cali at 4am this morning and a girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do!

Work can wait as it will still be here when I get back. I will check out your recommended sites soon. I ride at Waterville, Mt. Sunapee (closest) and have the mid-week pass so I can go to Okemo as well which is much better/bigger!, Loon and been all around New England. How'd your family like Okemo?

We're out in Aspen the end of this month, boo, hoo! I may get out to Vail next weekend as our son's in a competition there. I hope to hook up w/hubby in Denver since he'll be coming from Cali. I can't get over some of the resorts out west got 5-6 feet of snow recently. Unfathomable!

I'll check back in later.
Ride on,
Judy
snowrider

Postby snwbrdmamma » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 pm

Judy
actually, the kids are stuck at Okemo - blown head gaskets and no money to get home - sorry for them, right...they're on the mountain as we speak...
I'm leaving work early to go pick up as many as I can fit in my jeep. Of course, I'm taking my board with me, no sense in going all the way up there and not taking advantage of the snow. Looking forward to being in New England again, even if only for the weekend.
My little sister used to live in Campton and work at Waterville Valley, my son Brandon had his first ski lesson there at age 3 while visiting her about 17 years ago while we were living near Portsmouth.
have a great trip to Colorado
I'm off to VT
Mary
snwbrdmamma

Postby snowrider » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:38 am

Hi Mary,
How hard did someone have to twist your arm to come up here to Okemo? Especially after our new snow! Hmmm, I think you're using the "kids car broke down and they can't get home" as an excuse, ha ha! Actually, I rode Sunapee yesterday, and it was great, especially since it wasn't as crowded as it will be today.

But, be warned, Okemo has about every new yorker imaginable (who can't ski or ride) on the weekends and I usually avoid it like to plague. The slopes are so crowded it's unbelievable! But if you stay on the black diamonds, it's alot better.

I checked out your skidiving site as well (something I've always wanted to do). Actually my hubby was an Army Ranger (Viet Nam) and was a skidiver (including halo dives) etc. When can I go?
Have a great time this weekend if I don't hear from you, but it would be nice to meet if possible and ride together.
Judy :)
snowrider

Postby snowrider » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:58 pm

Mary, It's "more forward lean" when riding in the pipe. I checked w/several pros I know.
Judy
snowrider

Postby Norm » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:08 am

This is my first year snowboarding at 50 yrs old. I did do one season of skiing in 1978. Got married and started a family in Southern California. Skiing was fun, but it didn't generate the passion to commit to the hassle of either fighting the crowd on local SoCal slopes or driving the 6-8 hours to Mammoth Mountain.

In Sept 2004, my wife and I relocated to Carson City, Nevada. We are fairly active. We started out mountain biking before it got too cold. Once the snow started, I was seeing all the advertisements for the local ski resorts. I decided that I would like to give snowboarding a try, because I heard it was easier on the knees.

Man, I was hooked the first day. I have been out 4 times in the last month. Still on the green runs. I can do toe turns and heel slides, so I have my speed control down pretty good. 2 areas I need work on before I feel ready for the blue runs are toe side to heel turns (pick up way to much speed and wind up in a heel slide/brake) and getting off the lift without crashing/crawling.

My first time out was at Northstar-at-Tahoe. Next three outings have been at Mt Rose Ski resort (only a 45/50 minute drive). I am so lucky, this has got to be one of the best areas for snowboarding. Within a 55 mile drive I have some of the best resorts on the west coast (Heavenly, Squaw Valley, Kirkwood, Diamond Peak, Mt Rose, Northstar, Sierra-at-Tahoe).

The learning curve on snowboards is very steep. I would really encourage anyone wanting to learn to take lessons. I have had three and I learn something new in each one.

I plan on renting equipment for this first season. Will probably look at purchasing board/bindings and boot during the end of season sales.

Norm
Norm

Postby jRok57 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:32 pm

So yea, my name's Jason, just turned 26 and feel like I'm going thru a mid-mid-life crisis. I decided to start boarding about 20 days ago. I had been once with friends in high school, but didn't ever go again.

Anyways, I took the approach that if I didn't commit to it, I'd prolly never do it. So about $250 later, I have a decent used morrow lithium board, burton foundation bindings and boots, along with a nice outfit. All or none, that's what I say. Some may say 'you spent what? you don't even know if you're even gonna like it...' But i gotta tell you, I made my first trip to Mt. Brighton here in MI last saturday and I've never had such a good time being so bad at something. I mean, it's kinda disheartening to see kids a quarter of my age zooming past you and laughing at you everytime you fall, but the fifth time down the bunny hill - i was hooked.

Now I also have a question for all of you out there. When I made my first trip to the mountian, I went alone (because I didn't want to embarass myself in front of anyone I knew) but I met this kid that lives in my area who was up there alone. He told me that he had been skiing since he was a little tyke and he added snowboarding to his winter activities about 4 years ago. He told me that the learning curve for snow boarding is shorter than skiing. That is, you may be horrible on the board the first couple days, but after about five times it all clicks and you get better real quick. As opposed to skiing were you'll get it the first day, but it takes a long time to get really good. Is that true?

I really enjoy this website, it's nice to know that snowboarding is not exclusive to teenagers and kids anymore. See you on the slopes,
J
jRok57

Postby hookster » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi jRok,
The kid is right about the learning curve it doesn't take too many times to get fairly proficient but I'd highly recommend a lesson or two if you haven't taken one already.

BTW in keeping with the discussion subject I started boarding after moving to the midwest from Santa Cruz, CA where I surfed for years
hookster

Postby John » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:39 am

Bumping this thread back towards the top.
John

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion