Why did you start riding?

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Why did you start riding?

Postby John » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:19 pm

What prompted you to start snowboarding?

In my case, I learned skiing relatively late (around age 35), and got hooked on winter sports. Then I moved to a metro area with several lift areas around, none of which were adequate for extensive skiing.

So I took up riding as a new challenge, a way to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

[UPDATE 12/09: This has been one of the most popular topics on this board, so I decided it was time to make it a "sticky," meaning it will stay at the top of this forum, for increased visibility. Feel free to add your two cents.]
John

Postby Rod Smith » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:35 am

I was teaching skiing at Ski Liberty when snowboarding came on the scene around '86? It's fun, I still prefer skis though.
Rod Smith

Postby oldrider » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:19 pm

I didn't know any better! :?

Seriously, good advice about these matters is very hard to come by where I'm from (Texas)! My son (at the time, 14) wanted to learn to ride, so I just figured it would be best if we stayed together - so I took lessons with him.

Interestingly, we took private lessons twice at two different areas and the instructors were both older guys - and excellent.
oldrider

Postby j-love » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:25 pm

I blew out my ACL when I was 21, before I had ever skiied or boarded. I went on a few ski trips after and really enjoyed it, but I didn't have the strength in my bad knee to turn and stop.

I switched to boarding and it's so much easier on the knees. No yard sales is a bonus, too!
j-love

A newbie at boarding and I absolutely love it

Postby Got2ramble » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:46 pm

I am 53. I started boarding in December of last year. I just always wanted to do it but was forever putting it off. My first time ever on a ski slope was last year too. I went out about 30 times last season. It did not come easy for me either. There were several times I was sure I was going to die but I was determined. When I signed up for classes it was for a group rate but come class time I was the only one in my class so I got to have one on one instruction for 10 lessons. I had an 45 year old instructor who seem to know just how hard to push me. My riding skills improved at a very quick rate. By the end of the season I was doing the blue squares and some black diamonds. I have signed up for more lessons this year. I take my lessons at Pat's Peak, (patspeak.com) and I do a l lot of riding at Gunstock (gunstock.com) in New Hampshire. I even make the trip to Bretton woods which opened November 10 for this season which is very good for the east coast.
Got2ramble

Postby ctjohna » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:17 pm

In a word, kids! my 14 yo daughter & 11 yo son took up boarding through the youth center last year - it looked like fun so i convinced my wife (47) to take a couple of lessons with me (48). my daughter had her board last season, this season the other three of us got boards. 2 K2s and a Liquid storm.
ctjohna

Postby dcalc » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:14 am

I'm 47 and my 17 year old boy got me started. I've been skiing for only 3 years (2-3 times a year) and it just looked more fun than skiing (and I hate ski boots!). I started skiing in order to find a winter activity and I really fell in love with the UP resorts in winter (Porkies, Blackjack, Big powerhorn). It's great up there.

I must say that I'm finding it more difficult than skiing. I've been out 4 times now on my board and I'm still trying to get the hang of it and I'm still very nervous even on green runs (I've only boarded in the UP) and I fall a lot. So, I'm going to start going somewhere local to try to improve so I can enjoy it more when we take our winter trips to the UP.
Dan
dcalc

Postby John » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:03 am

I'm itching to get a trip over to Michigan's UP resorts. If you're interested in meeting up, send me an e-mail. I'm especially looking for some time in powder, which we never get in the Twin Cities.

Big Powderhorn: http://www.bigpowderhorn.net/
Blackjack: http://www.skiblackjack.com/
Indianhead: http://www.indianheadmtn.com/
Porcupine Mountains: http://www.skitheporkies.com/

And for something different (and a drive from the other four)
Mt. Bohemia: http://www.mtbohemia.com/home.html
John

Postby snowrider » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:30 pm

The same reason many "older" people start....my son (when he was 13) wanted to drop hockey bc all of his friends were snowboarding. Then he started competing in the new england area, and I felt like an odd ball on skis at comps, so at 50 I started teaching myself (w/help from my son and others). I'm into my 4th/5th year riding and find that it's much more enjoyable than skiing. My husband stills skiis. I feel more freedom and yes, it's much easier on the knees, and I can ride hard all day whereas I couldn't ride all day skiing.

I've progressed to an "advanced" level but it took me some time to commit to toe side turns (fear of falling and getting really hurt) until my son said: "Mom, you wakeboard toeside, so you need to just commit to it and do it!" After I decided to get my brain out of the way, I just went for it and then it all came together very rapidly. I can get a "little air" and boardslide a rail now but I just like to freeride "fast" most of the time. Powder riding is the best, of course, but I'm limited to pow access living in NH. I'm working on riding better switch and just love the sport. I have been out west a few times and just love it!

Since I started 4/5 years ago, I notice so many more "older" people taking it up. I'm currently teaching my son's girlfriend (19) how to ride. I definitely understand what not to do, since my very first day out at 50, I caught my toe edge and slammed my face into the snow and got a slight concussion and a few bruised ribs. Learning had to wait until the next season, but I was determined not to give up. When it finally "clicks" it's just soooo worth it! The first day is always the worst and alot of people give up, but if you hang in there, it gets better and better.

I don't think previous skiing helps with snowboarding at all. It's totally different and I didn't find anything about skiing transferable to riding (except your on snow).

Anybody go to Sunapee regularly...or Loon or Waterville?
Have fun 'cause it keeps you young.
J
snowrider

Postby dcalc » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:19 am

A few comments on John & Judy's replies:
I've been to all the MI UP resorts except Bohemia (way too adv. for me) and if you want some advise on where to go please email me. From MN you are close than me.
I highly recommend the Porkies over the others unless you must have the luxuries of a resort (it's a state park) like a bar, etc.. The Porkies are now being managed by the same people that run Bohemia and it shows. They leave a lot of power on the black runs for you advanced guys. I was there last Feb (Skiing) and there was over two feet of power on some of black runs that simply sucked me when I tried them as I was not good enough to handle it on. Someday on my board...

Judy's comments are encourging for me. I'm almost gave up after my first day last year. At end of my first day on the bunny hill, I tried a long green run (by MI standards - 6000ft) that I was not ready for and I too took a very hard fall on a toe edge that took me 10 min. to recover from - and then I had to still make it down to the bottom. But, I returned last week determined to get it and after two days I'm starting to see improvements. I'm still nervous going "fast" (for me) on a board and I'm still not "committing" to my toe turns.

Dan
dcalc

Postby snowrider » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi Dan,
I'm glad you're encouraged.....hang in there and you'll get it. There's a split second going toeside (if I remember from several years ago when I started) that I felt I was losing control and bailed, but if you just stay w/it, you all of a sudden (& very quickly...split second... if you don't bail) get the toeside and the control back. Then you're on your way and linking turns and going faster and faster....yipeeee! Make sure you stay centered on your board and your knees bent and try to relax.....when we begin to fall we always lean front or back and actually that means you have less control (even though it "feels" better!).
Let me know how you make out.
Do you know where Bear Lake, MI is? Lake Mich. side.
Good luck and enjoy.
Judy
snowrider

Postby snowrider » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:26 pm

Dan, forgot....you gotta walk before you can run.....the speed will come once you master the control.

Try doing some toe side falling leaves down the hill until you feel comfortable. Just like heel side "falling leaves" and remember to keep your head and eyes on the horizon....don't look down or you'll fall down.
snowrider

Postby dcalc » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Thanks Judy! I'll keep at it.
I've heard of Bear Lake near Manistee, but never been there. I'm not a big fan of Mich's Lake Michigan side as it's too crowed and over priced (they think it's New England there). Don't get wrong - some parts of the west side are beautiful, but it's over priced because of the demand mostly from the Chicago crowd. I drive the extra 3-4 hours and do most of my fishing & skiiing (now boarding) in MI's UP.
Have you ever been to Jay Peak? From my house, it's "only" a 10 hour drive via Canada. Flights are so expensive these days, so I'm wondering what's my best option to try a real mountain in the future (I still have plenty to do on our hills here) - drive to Jay Peak or fly out west which of course is very expensive these days for me and two others?
Dan
dcalc

Postby John » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Judy, if the Bear Lake you are thinking of is the same one that I am thinking of, yes, I know of it, and I've been there many times. It was probably 5 miles from my high school.

Ever been to the Bear Lake Tavern? It's a fixture in the area. Or at least it was years ago. I haven't. I spent many years in the west Michigan snow belt. But the only snow action I ever got was riding a snowmobile for a while, and an occasional uncontrolled fall with a Snurfer. What a pity that I didn't take up snow sports until my 30s.

As for the Lake Michigan side of the state, it is true that Chicago residents can "stuff" an area and drive up the prices. Still, if the circumstances were right, I would move to Michigan's west coast in a heartbeat. I still miss the sunsets over the water, climbing the dunes, walking on the breakwaters, and so forth. On the other hand, I don't miss the nearly-constant overcast skies.

Dcalc, if you've never been out west, you simply must go. But I warn you that you may become a snob; my wife (who learned to ski at Crystal, Caberfae, etc. in NW Michigan) now refuses to put foot to any sort of board here in the Midwest.
John

Postby Grizzled » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:44 pm

Skiing in the 80's
Rediculously long and skinny skis that didn't turn. Horribly uncomfortable boots. The complete lack of any style. The dayglo faze and spread eagles. Yep I wanted no part of that crap. After one season on skis I trashed em got a board the next year and haven't looked back.
Grizzled

Next

Return to General Discussion