Pond Skimming

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Postby daysailer1 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 am

This is the pond skimming being setup at Winter Park on Closing Day April 13th.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby bernwern » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am

Looks like the one Afton does every year for "Spring Fling". I didn't enter this year, but maybe next. Two years ago when I did , they had issues keeping the water up....it looked like in your pic. Apparently some skier punctured the plastic when he crashed and by the time I was up it sucked. I skipped it all the way, but launched of the end nearly into the crowd. This year a boarder sliced it with his edge and the same problem happened.

-B
bernwern

Postby John » Mon May 19, 2008 11:21 am

I've never had that much interest in pond-skimming. Something about wet boots doesn't appeal to me.
John

Postby daysailer1 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:07 pm

I've never done it either. I just watch.

They were just starting to setup for the day in this picture. It was probably 7 AM. They couldn't have set it up the previous day or it would have frozen over during the night. It was COLD that morning. It did warm up later in the day and the water level was much higher than in the picture.
daysailer1

Postby John » Mon May 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Here are some pics I took at the pond skimming event at Crestted Butte, in 2007. I don't recognize any of these people, It's possible (though doubtful) that they were part of the meeting I attended on site.

Is that a batman cape I see below?

Looks like a dance move:

Splish, Splash!
John

Postby daysailer1 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Great pix.

The CB skimming looks like it was much more do-able on a snowboard.

The one at WP had a huge jump at the end. Basically all the snowboarders landed in the water on their head. The water was shoulder/chest deep. They had people in the water to help all the snowboarders so they didn't drown.
daysailer1

Pond skimming

Postby patmoore » Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 pm

Okay, it's not exactly pond skimming but it's as close as I've come.

This was my first experience on the Flow Rider on the Freedom of the Seas. What a blast!

"Elwood"
patmoore

Postby bernwern » Tue May 20, 2008 9:08 am

Water skipping is easy on a snowboard. Lean back slightly like riding in pow and make sure to get your speed right. Stay balanced and do not tilt....you need to straight shot across or you will fall.

You will get wet, but usually only your back boot and leg. Wear good waterproof pants that over-lap your boot and you should be fine. If you fall, I think you all know what will happen.

-B
bernwern

Postby daysailer1 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:58 pm

How high and steep of launch ramps do you normally go off of?

Ours are typically about 6 feet off the water and the launch angle is at least 45 degrees. They really try to design the ramp so you immediately get launched way up in the air off the jump and come straight down and do a cannonball. It's hard for even the skiers to get any skimming done.
daysailer1

Postby bernwern » Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm

There usually isn't a jump. You come down the slope and try to skip across a pool of water (check out John's pics above). Usually about 100' of prep distance at a 35° angle is good enough for me to skip a 40'+ of water (I usually have to make a hard stop after skipping because they leave little room before the crowd).

If there was a jump, how are you supposed to skip? Especially if it is designed to put you nearly into a cannonball position. Kind of defeats the purpose and makes it sound more like a "get wet while skiing/boarding" contest.

-B
bernwern

Postby daysailer1 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:22 pm

The ones out here in Colorado typically have jumps. That makes it even more of a challenge. They want you to get wet and make a BIG splash. The pic I posted doesn't do the jump justice.

This is Olympic skier Jonny Mosely trying to pond skim at Vail this Spring. He does a back flip then skims... and nearly makes it across the pond.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jonny ... 1748140831

This one shows his pond skim from the jump side of the pond.
http://ski-video-clips.blogspot.com/200 ... mming.html

And this is the average Joe trying to ski and snowboard pond skim Colorado style.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bacar ... cid=acvsv1

This is Winter Park's pond skimming.
http://video.skiwinterpark.com/flash/pl ... re_popup=1
daysailer1

Postby bernwern » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 am

Nice links. Those show me more of how it's done elsewhere. The Vail jump didn't look that bad...I would have just absorbed it with my knees like a boardX jump and tried to flat-base across the pond. But I definitely see what you mean by them trying to launch you into the water.

Also, those comps look much more like they want you to fail! Everyone seems to wear crazy costumes or swimsuits like here, but I saw a few wetsuit type people as well.

The Vail setup was sick. That pond was amazing. I want to try it :)

-B
bernwern

Postby daysailer1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:59 am

Come on out and try them sometime. There is a whole circuit you can do for about two weeks here. Entry is free but is limited number of entrants. Sign up early. You can even win money! They have skimming points, style points, and costume points.

I did see a few "ringers" in the Vail clip. Looks like Charlie only made it about half way across the pond on his board. :lol:
daysailer1

Postby wrathfuldeity » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:39 am

My daughter and her friends love to go up in July.
Here's a bunch of locos a couple of years ago at the hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZygKc4D63q4
Baker!
wrathfuldeity

Return to General Discussion