Sooth Your Soul through Sliding

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Sooth Your Soul through Sliding

Postby John » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 am

At breakfast today I read an article called "Skiing's Power to Heal." There's nothing in it that riders can't relate to.
See http://www.skinet.com/article.jsp?ID=1000058128.

Have there been any times when riding was useful in invigorating your spirit, altering your mood (without ingesting any chemicals!) or simply helpful in shaking off the blues?

Reading that story reminds me of a time when a friend of mine was in some very self-destructive behavior, and it strongly grieved me. I found some new perspective, or at least relief, in some snowboarding sessions. These weren't, as in the article I have linked to above, in mountain ranges with fantastic views and thousands of feet of terrain. Instead, the most conspicuous visual element of this 300 foot vertical ski area was the nearby interstate highway.

But there was something about locking in and sliding away--if only for 45 seconds at a time--that brought me back to some useful perspectives of gratitude and peace.
John

Postby welshscarry » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:43 am

But there was something about locking in and sliding away--if only for 45 seconds at a time--that brought me back to some useful perspectives of gratitude and peace.

Here, Here!!
You said it, brother.
<John's great statement above>

I comment to my skiing friend every summer,,,,,,"Oh, wow I miss boarding...... the freedom, the wind in your face, the flying, the feeling of peace and relaxing"...... She skis (but gets it.)

Now, if we could get more people off prescription.chemicals and more people into boarding and exercise, the US might be a healthier place. :)
<<Soapbox off>>
welshscarry

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:06 am

Just got back from spending closing weekend at Breckenridge. Riding up the chair taking in the view of the mountains gave me a great sense of peace and gratitude that I could be in such beauty doing something I love.

Then sliding off the lift and down the hill was even better!

Steve
SteveH

Return to General Discussion