"I hope you're not one of those snowboarders"

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

"I hope you're not one of those snowboarders"

Postby John » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:10 am

So I'm on a group trip. Most of the folks are in their 70s; at least one is in his 80s. I'm the only snowboader in the group. The others are skiers, sometimes old school--old school enough to use rear entry boots and straight skis.

We're at apres ski in the lodge. Two of the folks start talking about adjustments, learning in the sport, trying new things and, yes, snowboarding.

I say something--I forget what--and one of the guys says "I hope you're not one of those snowboarders; then I'd have to hate you, too."

"Too late," I say. "I teach people how to snowboard."

It gets more interesting from that point. He mentions how he was clipped by a snowboarder once, how he met him at the bottom of the hill, and talked with him.

"How old was this guy?" I asked.

"Oh, he was a teenager," he answered.

BINGO.

To the extent that there's still bad attitudes towards snowboarders, it goes back to the behavior of teenagers. And though many, perhaps most teens are admirable citizens, you do have to admit that they have more than their share of troublemakers.

And yet the bad behavior of a few teenagers, who disproportionatly fill up the ranks of snowboaders, are used to discolor everyone else. (OK, you might say that I'm saying the same thing about teenagers.)

So what to do? Well, I listen to the complaints, make some noises about how ski etiquette is important, smile politely, and go on.

And hope that by example, I can change someone's mind now and then.
John

Postby canoer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:34 pm

Not to worry - all the hip kids are abandoning snowboards for twin tip skis (on some days I see more freestyle skis in the terrain parks than boards). In a few years all the out of control yahoos will be teens on two planks. 8)

You'll know they've arrived when Taos and Deer Valley ban twin tippers from their hallowed slopes.
canoer

Postby Kecht06 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:43 pm

You know I hate to say it, but is that old guy any better then the teenager? He tracked him down and talked to him about what? An accidental mishap?

I don't know, I ride with a lot of kids, and yes, some are pretty peppy to say the least, but they paid their 60 bucks along with everyone else. whose to say who was in the right or wrong, and snowboard, ski, or twins really shouldn't play a part in it.

Then again, 99% of our mountain is snowboarders, and any of us left skiing just use them as a moving obstacle course.
And Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Kecht06

Postby John » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I have no reason to doubt that the older fellow I was talking with was in the wrong.

Who is to say who is wrong? The responsibility code provides plenty of guidance.
John

Postby alchook » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Since I started riding five years ago I've been blind-sided four times by skiers.

Not once by a boarder.

(Minor tangles getting off a chair notwithstanding.)
alchook

Postby Kecht06 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm

alchook wrote:Since I started riding five years ago I've been blind-sided four times by skiers.

Not once by a boarder.

(Minor tangles getting off a chair notwithstanding.)

Skiers for the most part are faster, and a greater responsibility to avoid collisions goes to anyone coming from behind. It's not a skier / boarder thing, I guess that is where my issue lies, It's about respect and common courtesy while on the slopes or anywhere for that matter.
And Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Kecht06

Return to General Discussion