Turn Off that Ipod!

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Postby John » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:20 pm

While I have since taken to occasionally using an iPod while riding solo, I found the following to be a well-written plea for going the no-soundtrack route:

http://www.aspectjournal.com/stories/ni ... lence.html
John

Postby DMC » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:51 am

I too don't really use the mp3 player when climbing/riding.

It's mainly an inbounds thing...
DMC

Postby Rod Smith » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:04 am

John wrote:While I have since taken to occasionally using an iPod while riding solo...

The pod people have taken over John! Is there no hope for humanity?

Aspectjournal is a great website!
Rod Smith

Postby John » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Well yeah, now I'm sheepish about it all. Here I start using one a few months after railing against it.

I went to Vail to end the season, and while I took the thing with me on the trip, I don't remember using it on the mountain. It just didn't seem necessary, or to fit with the setting.

I can see its use in the flatlands of the Midwest, but even then I wouldn't use it all the time. And definitely keep the volume under control; you need to hear people moving around you.
John

iPod Cap

Postby Relic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:43 am

One of the challenges of using an iPod while snowboarding was my inability to hear skiers or snowboarders behind me. And now, there is a company out there that has manufactured a cap/mp3 player combination. So not only does the rider not protect his/her head, but they won't be able to hear.
Relic

Postby Rod Smith » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Haha. I use one when I'n riding solo too. I also don't remember listening while riding, (I usually forget to pay attention to the music. Haha) It's nice on the lifts though,unless someone wants to talk, then I'll turn it off. I use super-aural headphones (the kind that allows outside noise in).
Rod Smith

Re: iPod Cap

Postby DMC » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:41 am

Relic wrote:One of the challenges of using an iPod while snowboarding was my inability to hear skiers or snowboarders behind me.

Why should I care whats behind me? After i pass them... They are just memories...
DMC

Postby mammothmom » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:06 am

I love listening to music when I ride alone, and my daughter CAN'T ride without it, although it's not allowed in the trees on a powder day.
mammothmom

Music & riding

Postby SoonerShredder43 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:08 am

I just bought an ipod on ebay for this season of riding. I think it will help me relax when I ride.

During my first days of learning to drive, I drove better with the radio turned on.

So I'll test my theory this season; the right music makes everything better 8)
SoonerShredder43

Postby SteveH » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:02 am

I'm an IPod addict. I use mine on the hill and on the streets riding my longboards--more serious consequences in dodging cars. For me, it's about the rhythm. When the right beat comes up on the right slope I slide into a different state of consiousness. I'm dancing with the mountain, embracing the snow.
Great boarding is about involvement in the moment, accepting each movement and pressure and responding. Music touches that part of us that engages and accepts the the rhythm of our dance with the mountain. The best parts of our lives deserve a great soundtrack.

SteveH
SteveH

Postby John » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 am

Hmm. I'd say that the best parts of our lives need no soundtrack. But I'm also willing to admit that there can be a place for music on the mountain. Just watch out ....
John

Postby bernwern » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:35 pm

This is a touchy subject, and it appears many have a large range of views on it....

First, helmets I recommend. I have one, but I really only wear it for park, tree riding, and big stuff....If I am here in the Midwest, I usually don't rock mine, or if I am riding mostly groomed trails. Yes, they have limits, but they are better than just a beanie.

Second, regarding that story.....how in the h*ll do you hit a snowmobile? You SHOULD be able to see it. My guess, considering limited details but also knowing the sport, is the snowmobile hit her from behind or her blind spot. People in front of you ALWAYS have the right-of-way. That is a standard rule on the slopes. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me this was definitely not her fault.

Third, my thoughts on the ipod. I rock mine, and I regard it as an essential item, just like a binding tool. How many people listen to a walkman, the radio, ipod, etc when working out? How many people listen to music to relax? How many simply like listening to music? I like all of the above. Snowboarding with my ipod allows me to focus and center myself. It helps with my rhythm also. Plus, I change music depending on what type of day it is our riding I am doing: powder days might be jazz, downtempo, or something mellow, whereas I will use alternative, rock, hard rock, or techno for groomers and the park. Sometimes I may want hip-hop or rap when screwing around here in the midwest. I always listen to something. Who wouldn't like charging through a fresh pow field and laying some deep lines while listening to Knights in White Satin by The Moody Blues, or maybe to Sugar Rhyme by Bonobo? To each their own, I guess.

However, I do understand how some feel about losing sound to gauge if people get close to you. Someone blindsided me last year and I sprained my back over 8 vertebrae. Ski Patrol ruled it his fault for not yielding right-of-way and for riding out of control.....I was in front of him and he literally was bombing the hill and smashed into me. His response: "sorry, i didn't see you". I am 6'2" 235 pounds without gear....I look like a yeti on a board and he didn't see me? C'mon, we all know that is BS.

As for me, I have NEVER caused an accident or ran into somebody, let alone while using my ipod. I ride in control and I am confident in my abilities so i know how to weave and pass without causing problems for others or myself. I know the rules of riding the slopes and obey them. Unless somebody breaks these rules, like last year, I am at no more risk than wearing my helmet.

Just my thoughts and opinions....

-B
bernwern

Previous

Return to General Discussion