Turn Off that Ipod!

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Turn Off that Ipod!

Postby John » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:45 pm

An article in the Colorado Daily affirms the value of helmets in some situations, but raises the question that I-Pods may be a safety hazard.

The article keys in on the recent death of a young snowboarder. Its speculation that she may have been using an I-Pod is in this context irresponsible, but it does raise the question of whether music can impair one's knowledge of the surroundings.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/articles/2 ... news03.txt

Me, I enjoy being out on the slopes so much that I can't imagine interrupting it by music. I hate it when music is blaring all over the place. If that makes me an old fogey, so be it. Give me the quiet of the mountain, or perhaps the sound of carving or even spray.
John

Postby dcalc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:32 pm

Wow. That's scary for me. Last week I had this disagreement with my son and his buddy. They were boarding with their MP3 players on and I stated it was dangerous. I "lost" the battle that time, but it won't happen again. Granted, it was MI's UP and it's not the same kind of danger, but I will not allow them again (as long as there still under my control).
dcalc

Postby snowrider » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:35 am

Hmmm. Many competitors use music to block out distracting noise...the crowd, etc. to help "focus" and pump themselves up with their choice of music.

Let's face it, having a helmet on restricts your hearing period or a hat or earmuffs to some degree as well.

Influence of your kids....yeah....it definintely subsides when they age. Our then 17 year old son wanted to buy a motorcycle. He was going to buy one when he turned 18 anyway he told his Dad. Dad (being the smart man that he is) said to me: We'll all get motorcycles, make it mandatory for our son to take the safety course, and at least we'll have some control in the situation since we only have a short time left before he's gone, etc., etc. Well, I found I love riding motorcycles through the adventure and thoroughly enjoyed the course. My husband was gonna buy a Gold Wing, but since I'm not the "passenger" type, I got my own bike and now I'm on my 3rd one having outgrown my first 600cc bike. Keep in mind, I was completely opposed to our son getting a bike originally.
snowrider

Postby snwbrdmamma » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:39 pm

while I understand that wearing headphones while riding limits hearing what is going on around you, I don't see it as that much of an issue. I know a young man who went pro (rides for Monument) last year who doesn't ever hear me coming up behind/beside him, he never hears the cat or snowmobiles, yet he is an awesome snowboarder and is very safety conscious. The fact that he is deaf only means that he must be that much more aware using his sight, as should we all. The article I read about this unfortunate accident did not reveal whether she was listening to music or not, and I won't speculate. I will however, say that 2 of my sons wear mp3 players while they ride, and I support their decision while I also give gentle and sometimes not so gentle reminders to stay aware and to be safe. My heart goes out to the family of the young girl and also to the man driving the snowmobile.
let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!
snwbrdmamma

Postby snowrider » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:07 am

I agree, Mary, about the use of Ipods, etc. It's just not that big of an issue for me.

Even helmets (I'm for them) only protect to a very limited degree. They're fine if you're impact isn't too great, but aren't gonna help if you're in the "wrong" circumstances. Even the helmet mfgs. support their limited-impact protection.
snowrider

Postby kakaharoo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:13 pm

I agree that on the slower green runs that headphones are dangerous because of unskilled riders that may be yelling at you to get out of the way, but I've been taken down many times without having headphones on.

I feel that if you're on a long black or blue run out west you really don't have to worry about people running into you. Also, I believe in the motorcycle rule that if you're going faster than everyone else you only have to worry about running into other people cutting in front of you and not people running into you from behind.

I love riding to music. If you haven't ridden with the Gypsy Kings or Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" then you don't know what your missing.
Going to Tahoe Dec17th-31st. Pray for Snow.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and only 17 muscles to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
kakaharoo

I pod

Postby joecolo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:11 am

I have always been concerned with loosing or breaking something on the slopes and I would a little paranoid of taking an I pod. I do miss NPR on Saturdays and was thinking of getting something. The thought of listening to the Dark Side of the Moon is a nice too.
joecolo

Postby Grizzled » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 pm

Ipods are nothin. The real problem is idiot kids and their GD cell phones.
Saturday I watched some teenage bimbo d*** near get hit by a chair cause she was playin with a phone and not paying attention. Then just stand there and hold up a line, empty chairs goin up, while she played with her phone. Not to mention all the kids just stopping and sitting down in the middle of the runs playing with their phones.

Why the h*ll do kids have cell phones? I wish I could take a sledge hammer to mine.

War has been declared! I see someone in the middle of a run playin with a phone they're gettin sprayed.
Riding since '87
Grizzled

To Ipod or not to Ipod

Postby greymatter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:13 pm

Ipod!!!!!!!!! The best invention since peanutbutter cups. Cruising down the slope listening to only the music you have chosen to inspire you is the best form of self motivation possible. As for the previously mention instrument of satan the cell phone, they should all be collected and have them hand delivered to the rightfull owner "the devil" maybee the girl that was using it on the lift would offer up her services for this task.laters.
greymatter

Re: To Ipod or not to Ipod

Postby goofydatarave » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:11 pm

I'm thinking that the number of snowboarding injuries caused by listening to music while riding is so far down on the list, that it is in danger of falling off the list all thogether.

Riding is all about enjoyment, fun, thrill, etc. Tennis is much less dangerous (even with an iPod), but I just can't get as excited about playing. It seems that excitment and danger go hand in hand, at least with sports.

If it gets to the point where listening to music while riding is the most dangerous thing my kids are doing on the slopes, then my job is done as a parent.

Just my 2 cents.
A bad day on the board is better than a good day at the office.
goofydatarave

Postby mergs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:21 pm

if you can ride with an mp3 player more power to ya, i could not. maybe on the lift or sessioning in the park but never in the bc or on resort runs. i like to hear what i am doing, and if someone is in my blind spot.
powder whore, tree junkie, backcountry monkey
mergs

Postby DMC » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:05 pm

I love my MP3 player... And my Giro helmet has speakers built in...
So I don't have to insert any earbuds into my ears - which is great... I spend a lot of time enjoying nature on my BC skins

Mostly listen to TripHop - it has a good steady beat and has elements of all styles of music...
DMC

Postby John » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:24 pm

I guess I'll have to be the resident critic on the subject ...
John

Postby GregH » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:15 am

I'm on par somewhat with John. 1/2 of my reason to Ride or Ski is to be out in nature up on the mountain. I would never interrupt the tranquility and beauty of that feeling with music.

Sometimes when I notice there's no one else around, I will just stop and enjoy the view and the peaceful hum of nature. Sometimes for 10 minutes.

But that's just me, and if I were into music more I'd probably feel differently. Goofy's point is valid and is a lot like parenting. You need to pick your battles carefully. Ipods don't seem high on the priority list with what else that can go bad.

Just my $.02
GregH

Postby DMC » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:28 am

GregH wrote:Sometimes when I notice there's no one else around, I will just stop and enjoy the view and the peaceful hum of nature. Sometimes for 10 minutes.

I do a lot of that as well... I don't blast tunes all the time...

But I am into music - being in a band and all ... maybe thats the difference...
DMC

Next

Return to General Discussion