Any Riding Left? /Summer snowboarding

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Any Riding Left? /Summer snowboarding

Postby John » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:03 am

So does anyone have plans for riding left? Two of our local hills (at least) will be open until April 2, which is a week later than usual, I think. Then there's a trip to Vail later in the month. Endless winter, of a sorts.
Last edited by John on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Postby danvaught » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:12 pm

My whole family is heading down, the March 31st and Apr. 1st, to lower Michigan to try and get some more runs in at Boyne Mountain and Nubs Nob. We have our fingers crossed.
danvaught

Postby John » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Sounds like you're taking a chance there. Good luck!

I went riding today. Pretty difficult at times--I was going fine, and then it was like somebody grabbed my board, and then released it, and then grabbed it, etc. The wax hasn't pooled up like it did last year, but it's time for warm-weather wax--or just go riding at night!

I could tell a difference even around 1:30 pm. The sun was behind the clouds all day, but even a slight temperature drop was useful. Still, it's odd to be in a time when you DON'T want a bluebird day!
John

Postby DMC » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 am

We'll be riding my home mountain(Hunter) until Easter - then it's up to Killington for a weekend followed by Tuckerman Ravine for a couple weekends...

Still some riding to be done!
DMC

Postby John » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:56 am

I did some "slush riding" on Saturday. It one time when I was happy we did not have a bluebird day--with sun exposure, riding would have been even more difficult.

It wasn't quite a mashed potatoes day. The snow was soft, but not so we that it pooled up in places. Instead, it was unpredictable. You'd go along at a reasonable (though still slower than usual) speed, and then it was like something grabbed the board from underneath.

Anyone have tips on dealing with this? I tried two different approaches. When I wanted to keep up some speed to get across the top of a run, just before it dropped off, I would crouch way low and towards the tip of the board. That seemed to work well enough to keep me going until the land dropped away.

On slightly more steep terrain, I sometimes leaned way back on the board, like I was in powder. It didn't seem like this would work well, but whenever I went from that stance into a more centered one, the board slowed down.

Well, not too much to experiment with this, at least around here. Our local hills close on April 2.
John

Postby DMC » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:06 am

John wrote:Anyone have tips on dealing with this?

You probably already thought of this but...
A good waxing will help.. Then before you go out and at lunch - hit the base of your board with some stick wax - just draw criscross paterns on the base eash stroke a few inches apart..
Wht it does it keep suction from occuring under your base...
DMC

Postby John » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:17 am

Yeah, I thought of that, but neglected to put it in the last message.
John

Postby DMC » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:04 pm

John wrote:Yeah, I thought of that, but neglected to put it in the last message.

Maybe try setting your stance back a click on the board - I do that on deep pow days...
DMC

Postby Norm » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:31 pm

We have been very lucky in the Sierra Nevada mountains. March has brought 6+ ft of snow to the resorts around Lake Tahoe (some 14ft). I was riding in 10-12 inches of powder on Saturday at Mt Rose.

So, if you are still Jonesin for more riding a trip to Lake Tahoe may be the thing for you.

I did a quick check of the local resorts and most have a closing date of April 23, 2006 (Kirkwood is listing Apr 30th). And of course Mammoth Mountain will be open beyond these dates.

Most of the resorts around here don't close because of lack of snow. It is more economic. Not enough paying riders/skiers to justify running the place. Most of what's left in April are the season pass holders.
Norm,
Rome 05/06 Anthem 161
Rome 05/06 Targa Bindings
Vans 04/05 Fargo BOA Boots
Norm

Time left

Postby almacd1814 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 pm

I am in the middle of packing up my truck, heading to Whistler/Blackcomb for a weeks worth of spring riding......wish you were here!!
almacd1814

Postby nade » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:35 pm

Arapahoe Basin, CO doesn't close until June 6th. It used to be July 4th, but it seems seasons are getting shorter. Anything after May usually involves a few runs, beer and a shot, few more runs, another beer and a shot. After that we usually just sit around and watch women in bikinis coming down the mountain.
nade

April riding...REGULAR SEASON vs SPRING SEASON...

Postby PamelaDare » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:14 pm

What is the difference between regular snow and that you find during spring snowboarding time?

Does it change the learning curve at all? I would like to squeeze in a weekend (Easter perhaps?) to practise before my season ends.
PamelaDare

Postby John » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Spring conditions can make it easier to try new things. You'll go slower and falling seems less ominous. So I think it's pretty good for beginners, and if you're more advanced, try a few jumps or something freestyle.
John

Postby joecolo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:37 am

I find spring riding to be a two edged sword. First thing in the morning yesterdays slush can be a frozen mess. Even groomed slush can be difficult when re-frozen and then throw in the occasional ice patch for real fun. There are a usually couple good runs as the day warms up. Later in the day depending on the hill the snow can get so soft you can go over the tip of the board if you’re not watching. Regardless, any day on the slopes is better than a day at work.
joecolo

Postby dcalc » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 am

well, i'm going to say a sad goodbye to snowboarding till december. I boarded last Sat (17th) and it's now over. It hurts this year because I finally feel like a real boarder and I'm going to miss it big time. I love to fish - but I now like boarding much more. I would love to take a summer boarding trip to NZ or South America - but I'm in the middle of a divorce and I don't think there's going to be any money left for fun!
But, that's a long story... Actually, as a divorce gift I'm thinking of getting a snowboard tatoo!

see you next season,
Dan
dcalc

Next

Return to General Discussion