25 years and counting...how about you?

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

25 years and counting...how about you?

Postby davep » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:02 am

Just curious to find out how long other "grays" have been snowboarding.

Me? I started in 1981. My father met Jake Burton Carpenter at a sporting goods trade show in NY and bought my twin brother and I a dealer pack of 5 boards (3 backhills and two backyards) and a bunch of t-shirts, patches, stickers and brochures, and we became the first to sell boards in the state of NC. We were freshmen at Appalachian State Univ. in the Mountains of NC. I still have an original '81 Backhill that has never been ridden.

Back then (boy that makes ya sound old, don't it), we had to sneak on to the ski slopes after hours to make runs, or wait for the big snow and hike out. Never got arrested, but did get shot at once by an angry night watchman.

Now I am 42, and celebrating my 25th year on a board. To commemorate the occasion, I am spending 25 days in Colorado, Jan. 3 thru 27. I have rented a 3 br condo from a friend in Vail, so any grays interested in celebrating with me are welcome to join me for a few days. Just respond to this post with contact info and we can discuss it.
davep

11 yrs here....

Postby JohnnyB » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:54 am

Just got back on last year after a 10 year hiatus to pursue WW kayaking.

I'm doing both now and loving it.

I'm 43.

JB
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is".

Vince Lombardi

C. 937.869.0677
JohnnyB

Postby Rod Smith » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Twenty winters snowboarding this season!
43 years skiing, 19 years freeheel.
Rod Smith

Postby executiveboard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 am

I did 22 years on skies, took a two hour lesson on the snowboard in Canada in 1998 and never looked back. I purchased my first board when I returned home. I had to give up some ski days to learn the board but have never regreted it yet. I carried both skies and snowboard before the Airlines got strict on bagage weight but never used the skies. I've been a Pure Snowboarder for six years and Loving It. 59 years old and tired of Riding with Skiers! :roll: :roll:
executiveboard

Postby bernwern » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 am

Well, I am likely the youngest member, age wise, on the forums at a whopping 29 going on 30.

I started riding in 1991 on a cheapo fiberglass board. So, this means I just completed my 16th season. Never skied, but hope to try telemarking :)

-B
bernwern

Return to General Discussion