Air travel 2009-10

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

Air travel 2009-10

Postby Rob2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:41 am

Come January, we are flying to Bozeman, MT for a week at Big Sky. All my previous boarding trips were by car.

Given the current astronomical airline prices for "oversize" luggage, what to you guys recommend?

Should I bite the bullet and take my much loved '06 Custom and just search for the cheapest way to get it there? If so, how should I pack the board?

Or should I take just my boots and bindings and rent a board? Do rental places allow this?

Does anyone have experience with these guys?:
http://www.luggageforward.com/

Thanks
Rob(2)
Rob2

Re: Air travel 2009-10

Postby John » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:03 am

Rob(2), you could always buy a rolling back (hard case is best, though I have a soft-sided model). I have gone on several trips this way. The longest was for 6 days. I've flown Northwest and United, and neither have given it the oversized-bag fee, just the usual bag fee.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby runswithdog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Check on line for your particular airline, get all the fees and print out the sports equipment fee page....and take it with you.

Coming to Colo, and airlines are pretty good and knowing what a board bag is, and a boot bag, and then charging you accordingly, but not astronomically. :)

<One year I was flying out of Tampa to go to Utah--- the baggage clerk had no clue what skis even were ..... Much less that you could put them in a soft bag and take them on an airplane. Seriously!!>

Last yr a lot of resorts were giving a $50 rebate to help cover your board fees.
runswithdog

Postby Rob2 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 pm

This will be my first airplane trip with my board, so I've been pretty compulsive about the baggage regulations.

United Airlines policy from their website:

Snowboarding equipment
Allowance/requirements
1 snowboard bag, plus 1 boot bag containing boots and bindings only, are allowed in place of one checked bag.
If combined weight is >50 pounds, there is an overweight fee.
Acceptable snowboard length = 135 - 184 cm

I called United and asked explicitly if the bindings can be on the board in the board bag instead of on the boots in the boot bag. They cannot. Bindings must be in the boot bag. Only the board can be in the board bag.

Always read the fine print.

Rob
Rob2

Postby John » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 pm

I have a very large board bag, with wheels. It has inside two detachable bags (and a lot of other space). I put one boot and one binding inside each of the detachable bags, and fill up the rest of the space with gloves, a gaiter, etc. I lay the board on top of several base layers (careful to make sure the zippers on the tops are not in contact with the board). Then I put my street clothes, socks, underwear, padding, helmet, etc., on top of the board.

I think one time I had to pay $25 in excess weight fees once (this was when there was no per-bag charge) but other than that had no problem. I have flown Northwest, Frontier, and United.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby Rob2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Update: There were no issues at the airport checking my board-bag with my helmet and jacket inside in addition to the board. So on the way home I added my backpack and pads. Still no problem. This was on United Express between SFO and BZN.
Rob2

Return to General Discussion