What Do You Drink in the Lodge?

General Discussions relating to adults
who snowboard and snowboarding. For topics that don't fit in more specific forums.

What Do You Drink in the Lodge?

Postby John » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey everyone, welcome our latest member LdySnoBrdrAt45. In the thread "The zen of carving" she writes about enjoying a cold brew from time to time: "So at the bottom of my “perfect run” (which I often have several of on any given day) – I get back on the lift and go relive what I can only describe as the definition of serenity!! But in the event I must visit the ladies room, I will take care of business and perhaps stop by the pub and have a glass of good beer (a microbrew – NOT Bud, Coors, etc…) before boarding the lift again to go relive the moment." (see it here: http://bit.ly/4ph1Rn)

Since we're pretty sparse on traffic just now, and the season hasn't begun in earnest for many of us, I thought this is a good time to discuss beer (or other drinks): What do you prefer? Do you imbibe an adult beverage while you're at the mountain/hill?

Obviously it's something a lot of people do, as many skiers participate in "beer leagues." Me, I probably pick a Guinness more than any other beer, but I sometimes enjoy a nut brown, Marzen, or winter beer. I don't care for beer that's very high on the hoppiness scale, though.

Oddly enough, though, I usually don't drink when I'm snowboarding. One, I'm cheap. Two, I don't need anything (such as alcohol) to give me more trouble than I already have when I'm at altitude. (In theory I also cut back on caffeine for the same reason.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Re: What do you drink in the lodge?

Postby patmoore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Long Trail Ale brewed in Bridgewater Corner, VT. It even goes well on Corn Flakes. "Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore".

The good folks there were kind enough to give me a snowboard plus I decorated another board and a few pair of skis with their logos. Even my golf bag promotes the product!

i tried to upload some more photos but the system restricts us to 500 pixel widths. I'll try again after resizing.
patmoore

Postby John » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:54 am

Wow. Is that board in the photo all stickered up, or did someone lay the logo down in the manufacturing process?

Within about 100 miles of me is Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, home of Leinenkugel, a regional beer that is now a janitor's close (in terms of volume) in the SABMiller empire. You can buy all sorts of stuff from the company (leinie.com) but it's all summer related, especially fishing and canoeing. Then again, Wisconsin, unlike Vermont, isn't known as a hotbed of snowboarding activity.
John

Postby patmoore » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:24 am

Nitro custom made the board for Long Trail and it's sold at their brewery.

Here's a shot of the underside.

My race board does sport a sticker

Okay, I guess this getting a little obsessive....

Between 1968 and 1978 I collected beer cans from all over the country. Here's the collection. For the record, the worst tasting was Frankenmuth from a town of the same name in Michigan.
patmoore

Re: drinks in lodge? ATTN: John & patmoore

Postby LdySnoBrdrAt45 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:54 am

John & Patmoore:

Yes, in my one posting I did make mention of perhaps having a cold beer while in the lodge – for “Mother Nature” reasons and I do make it a point to NOT have anything but a good microbrew!! The local ski area where I have held my season pass for the past two years (Gunstock, NH) has “Pig’s Ear” on tap. It’s a brown ale but not near as thick as Guinness. “Pig’s Ear” is brewed by a local microbrewer specifically – The Woodstock Inn and Brewery in N. Woodstock, NH. This brewer also makes some seasonal brews as well as some that are year round. Another brew they make that I really like (but not available at the ski area pub) is “Red Rack.” It is a bit lighter than “Pig’s Ear” – an amber ale but is by no means comparable to everyday Bud, Coors, etc… It is MUCH better!! Finally, Woodstock Inn’s Winter seasonal is called “Wassail.” Quite strong but VERY good brew!! Woodstock’s beers can be purchased in stores in NH and is usually located in the same area as the Long Trail mentioned by Patmoore.

So, Pat, How do I get one of those boards?? That is awesome!! I truly like Long Trail as well – the ale not the IPA. I’m sure you know the one – brown bottle, green box. Also, I do like Long Trail’s “Hibernator.” A bit stronger than the ale but is good!! I have been drinking Long Trail for quite sometime now (not on a daily basis but because it is a good, “local” microbrew). I have a set of pint glasses from the Long Trail folks but had NO idea they have boards!! I’m all over that idea!! So, perhaps I’ll have to “Take a Hike” up to VT and go check it out. I better hurry because opportunity has presented itself where I may end up in CO at some point soon!

Pat on account you’re in New England a couple more “local” beers that I find to be of very good quality and you may get the urge to taste (and if you do come across them I strongly recommend them both) are: Smuttynose Brewing Co. (Portsmouth, NH) “Old Brown Dog” and Magic Hat Brewing (S. Burlington, VT) “Magic Hat #9.” Old Brown Dog is a brown ale and the #9 is more of an amber (I think the company calls it “not quite pale ale”) and has just a tinge of an apricot flavor to it.

Finally, Sierra Nevada’s seasonal “Celebration Ale” is quite good. It’s brewed in CA so obviously is widely distributed on account we can get it in NH. It is strong but it is good!!

Regarding “drinking in the lodge” I too am too cheap and don’t do so very often (but if I’m already there to visit Mother Nature…. Well….). If I do drink any beer while boarding, it’s more likely than not that I will do so while sitting on the tailgate of the truck and while eating lunch (which I packed and brought). Both I and my best friend aka “snowboarding partner” (who is now being weird and not talking to me….???) drive pick-ups so one of us will drive (we switch off) and therefore if we have any beer at lunch, whichever one of us is driving will only have one and the other may have a couple or three (driver can burn off the one after lunch while boarding). If one of us does have say… three the last one is usually after we called it a day and while changing boots, etc… We usually always take some time to relax and talk about all the fun we just had shredding the mountain all day (and sometimes half the night)!!

Enough of my going on and on!! :) This starting to look like the sequel to War and Peace!! But, Pat, for real – I would LOVE to have one of those Long Trail boards!! God knows I have spent enough on Long Trail to have purchased one by now I’m sure!! Hey, I’m a VET – I think they should hook me up with one of those cool boards as their thanks for my service to my country!! ;) I’m all for “Taking a Hike!!” :) LOL!!

Anyway, like I said, enough of this conversation because it’s not like I can go boarding and have a good, cold beer!! We have no snow in NH!! :cry: Something is seriously wrong with this picture!!!!

Ride on (someday!!)!! :)

LdySnoBrdr

Patmoore: P.S. – The worst beer I think I’ve ever had was “Iron City” from PA. I think they recycle the water from the steel plants to brew this stuff!! It was horrible!! Like to the point of needing to spit it out!! The worst ever!! This stuff make Falstaff, Schlitz, etc… look like a “fine microbrew”!!
LdySnoBrdrAt45

Postby John » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:46 am

IPAs are too hoppy for me; I prefer something with more malts than hops. Some chocolate flavoring is good, and though I don't drink coffee, a hint of coffee flavor isn't bad as long as it isn't too strong.

A few weeks ago I went to the liquor store and a clerk there helped me build a six pack of stouts. I wish I had kept a written record of each one so I could go back for the ones I liked. There was one out of Longmont, Colorado, that I didn't care for. My favorite may have been one from Montreal, but it was $3 for a single bottle! (OK, buying an entire six-pack may have given me a lower per-bottle price.)

Within the world of Big Beer, Leinenkugel (now part of the MillerCoors empire) produces some items that are ok, especially the "creamy dark." It is fairly light as far as a "dark" beer goes, however. During the summer their wheat beer is a pleasant lighter beer.

Stepping down in size, Goose Island of Chicago was part of my beer supply when I lived in the area. I can still get some of it here in Minnesota, but haven't for a while.

A few months ago a state politician arranged for some of her friends to have a tour of Summit Brewing Company, in Saint Paul, Minn. The founder of the company gave us a talk about his history with the company (about 20 years old), and it was a good show. We all got to sample their beers; I liked their oatmeal stout; their Oktoberfest is fine but not quite my favorite.

You're right about not doing a lot of snowboarding yet. Around here it has felt like late March for quite a while. Yuck! I'm longing for the year in which I started riding in OCTOBER! At this rate I'm looking at the third week in December, perhaps, before decent (for around here) terrain opens.
John

Postby patmoore » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 am

Nice post LdySnoBrdr! Makes for good reading and a nice review for the beer and ale aficionado.

I don't know if they still sell them, but the Long Trail boards (made by Nitro) were on display at the brewery last time I was there. $299.

patmoore

Postby bernwern » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 pm

YEAH! Great topic!

I am a drinker, so I fit that stereotype in a boarder as well...but only that one. I am a huge fan of craft beers and spend too much money on them. I will try anything once. Belgian Trippels are probably my favorite type of beer, but for a single style I prefer scotch ales which are all too rare. Cold Smoke from Butte MT is my favorite. Otherwise I typically stick to single malt scotch and Rusty Nails. Now I no longer fit the stereotype :)

-B
bernwern

Postby SnowSurfr » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:19 pm

I know its not anything special, but I carry a burton pack with some jerky, nuts and 1 or 2 Miller Lite oil cans (24oz) for joint lube. this way I can stop when and where I want to take a break!
dreaming of powder days!
SnowSurfr

Postby wrathfuldeity » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:56 am

Coffee.....but I'm waiting for the day, currently drive a wagon load of kids up the hill and after a day of riding the hard part is getting back to town in one piece...ocassionally pulling over to take a nap just to make it back. But the end is in sight.... as soon as my 15 yr old daughter passes her learner's permit...failed it twice so far :roll: ...and gets some experience...then I will have a beer at the lodge...until then I have to wait til home. However, each of my 3 kids have swore that when I'm old...they are driving and I'm riding, drinking and taking naps. Currently at the end of the day, the kids jump in the car and are often sleeping within moments and dear old dad struggles to get back to town.

my favs...pretty much just drink local brews the past 10 yrs
http://www.fishbrewing.com/fish-tale-al ... -pale-ale/
http://www.chuckanutbreweryandkitchen.com/
http://www.bbaybrewery.com/beer.php
Baker!
wrathfuldeity

Postby Rob2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 am

Gatorade. A big bottle (sometimes two) for each day on the mountain.
I'm jealous that you all can drink micro-brews at altitude.
For me alcohol + altitude = unremitting headache.
Rob2

Re: What Do You Drink in the Lodge?

Postby LdySnoBrdrAt45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 pm

ATTN: Rob2

You wrote that you are "jealous" that some of us are able to drink micro-brews at "altitude." Well, I can only speak for myself but... I do NOT consider New Hampshire as "altitude." I mean the elevation of the summit of Mt. Washington (highest peak in New England) is only a bit over 6000ft. I grew up in Albuquerque, NM where the elevation is about a mile high (5280ft) and when I went skiing and got off the lifts the elevation was often well over 9000, 10,000, or 11,000 ft. Any of the folks on here that are in Colorado will know what I'm talking about as many of the mountains in CO are well over 10,000 ft.

The elevation (base area - where one would have a beer) of the ski area I most often ski these days is: 900ft and in my humble, subjective opinion, I have a hard time thinking of 900ft as "altitude" after growing up skiing the Rockies.

Just an FYI - I can drink a beer at 10,000ft (Ski Santa Fe (NM) - the parking lot is 10,350ft) as well and not be overcome by a splitting headache. Thank God!! So, I don't know what to say as to why some of us can (drink beer w/o headache) and others can't. Perhaps it's one of those proverbial questions which will always remain unanswered... But Gatorade is good - and good for you after hard exercise. Personally, I prefer the lemonade flavor. Just my two cents (for whatever it's worth...) :D
LdySnoBrdrAt45

Return to General Discussion